Friday, January 8, 2010




I baked soo many cookies for Christmas this year for my co-workers, but these were the ones I made just for me and my family. They are iced anise cookies..I found the recipe on cookiemadness.net and I just love it! Anise flavor isn't for everyone, but my family is Italian, so we've developed a taste for it :). The anise flavor was very strong (which I loved) but I may use less next time. The cookies are soo soft and flavorful..they were even delicious two weeks after I baked them (we stored them in cookie tins). I think I may try them with lemon or almond extract next time.
Here's the recipe! Hope you try them and enjoy them as much as I did!

3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
2 eggs
1/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon anise extract
2 3/4 cups flour (12.5 oz)
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 scant teaspoon salt

Icing:
1 1/2 cup spowdered sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons melted butter
1 1/2 tablespoons milk plus extra if needed
1 1/4 teaspoon anise extract
Multi-Colored Sprinkles

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or non-stick foil.

Beat the sugar, melted butter, eggs, milk and anise extract together using low speed of a hand-held mixer.

Thoroughly stir together the flour, baking powder and salt; add to the batter and stir just until blended.

Drop dough by rounded teaspoons, shaping a little to form nice roundes, 2 inches apart onto cookie sheets and bake on center rack for 10 to 14 minutes or until bottoms of cookies are light golden. Cool on wire racks.

Make icing. Mix the sugar and melted butter together until the sugar is moist. Add the milk and beat well until smooth. Beat in the anise extract. It should be thick but pourable. Place a piece of paper towel under your cooling rack so that the glaze can drip through, then spoon it gently over the cookies.
Sprinkle with candy sprinkles.

Makes 4-5 dozen cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment